The Government of the Republic of China (Taiwan) and the
Government of the Federation of St. Kitts and Nevis (hereinafter
referred to as the “ Parties ” );
DESIRING to further strengthen the friendly relations existing
between the two countries and promote technical cooperation in
public health and medical skills;
RECOGNISING that improving public health, medical care and
medical skills can enhance public health and competitiveness,
thereby contributing to national sustainable development;
Have agreed as follows:
The Parties will cooperate in the field of public health through
the sharing of medical skills, with the Government of the
Republic of China (Taiwan) applying its medical skills and
experience to assist the Government of the Federation of St.
Kitts and Nevis in strengthening the capacity of the public
health system thereby assisting to improve the health of the
people of the Federation.
Each Article covered by this Agreement will apply to projects
initiated by the Parties once this Agreement has been signed.
Scope of Cooperation
1. Public Health, disease prevention, clinical services, and
skills transfer are the main priorities. The preventive
activities of public health and medicine provided by public
health institutions will include, but will not be limited to
health education, disease screening, and clinical services,
planned and implemented taking into consideration the needs
of the Government of the Federation of St. Kitts and Nevis.
Assistance will also be provided in the formulation of
2. Medical personnel capacity building: Qualified personnel
related to the field of medicine, nursing, medical screening,
nutrition, public health, and health administrators with
specialisation in critical diseases, principal medical
specialties, health administration and/or areas encountering
difficulties in recruitment, will be recommended by the
Government of the Federation of St. Kitts and Nevis for
participation in relevant training programs, building
capacity in disease prevention, cure and screening skills,
community healthcare, and health administration.
3. Construction of disease data analysis and tracking
mechanisms: A mechanism for tracking and managing particular
diseases will be established based on the public health
structure of the Government of the Federation of St. Kitts
The Embassy of the Republic of China (Taiwan) and the Ministry
of Health of the Federation of St. Kitts and Nevis are
designated by the Parties as competent authorities and are
jointly responsible for the management, supervision and
coordination of the implementation of technical cooperation
under this Agreement.
1. The Parties will discuss possible cooperative projects by
means of non-scheduled dialogues at different levels.
2. Any subsequent document required for any cooperative project
as agreed by the Parties based on this Agreement shall be
done by an exchange of letters detailing the conditions of
each such project and the obligations of the Parties.
3. The Parties agree to open accounts in Eastern Caribbean
Dollars for disbursements, transfer or other financial
processes relevant to implementing cooperative projects and
such accounts shall be denoted by project title and operated
in accordance with the prevailing laws of the Federation of
St. Kitts and Nevis.
4. All funds deposited in such accounts shall be used only for
their respective cooperative projects in accordance with the
exclusion principle. The handling of any and all such
accounts shall be in compliance with the management rules and
regulations drawn up by the Parties.
Obligations of the Government of the Republic of China (Taiwan)
1. Dispatch Projects Managers, long- and short-term experts, and
technicians with a public health and medical professional
background to the Federation of St. Kitts and Nevis to carry
out the described objectives.
2. Pay the salaries and medical insurance of the abovementioned
personnel during their service in the Federation of St. Kitts
3. Defray the travel expenses of the abovementioned personnel
between the Republic of China (Taiwan) and the Federation of
St. Kitts and Nevis.
4. Defray the cost of machines, equipment and supplies provided
by the Republic of China (Taiwan) needed for the relevant
Obligations of the Government of the Federation of St. Kitts and
1. Provide necessary human and material resources to support
project implementation and pay the salaries and allowances of
the project personnel from the Federation of St. Kitts and
2. In compliance with the prevailing laws of the Federation of
St. Kitts and Nevis, exempt from all import, customs and
other duties and taxes as well as import and licensing
inspection procedures, the machines, equipment and vehicles
relevant to the cooperative projects, and pay for the customs
clearance storage and transportation of such items.
3. Provide office space appropriate for each project.
4. Provide residential space with furniture, water and power for
the Project Manager.
5. Adopt appropriate measures to ensure the personnel safety of,
and make emergency medical care and first aid readily
available to, the project personnel dispatched by the
Republic of China (Taiwan).
6. In accordance with the needs of the implementation of
cooperative projects, grant the project personnel dispatched
by the Republic of China (Taiwan) and their dependents the
following treatments during their service in the Federation
of St. Kitts and Nevis:
(1) The facilitation of visa applications, entry into, departure
from and residence in the Federation of St. Kitts and Nevis;
(2) Exemption from all residential and local taxes, and income
tax on salaries;
(3) Exemption from all importation and customs taxes and other
duties on personnel and household goods imported from
(4) Granting of privileges, conveniences and exemptions the same
as that the Federation of St. Kitts and Nevis accords the
personnel of specialized agencies of the United Nations, as
well as exemptions on sales taxes incurred on any transfer
Utilization of Information and Confidentiality
1. Information relating to the projects under this Agreement
shall not be disclosed by any Party without the prior written
approval of the other Party.
2. The dissemination and utilization of information, and the
management and exercise of intellectual property rights,
related to the projects under this Agreement, shall be
governed by separate agreements.
3. Neither the termination nor expiration of this Agreement will
invalidate any obligations in relation to non-disclosure
All disputes arising out of or in connection with this Agreement
will be settled through negotiation in good faith by the
Entry into Force, Amendment and Termination
1. This Agreement shall enter into force on the date of
signature and remain effective for five years, and will
automatically be extended for successive periods of the same
duration of validity upon its expiration.
2. Any amendment to this Agreement shall be done by the mutual
written consent of the Parties.
3. This Agreement may be terminated by either Party by notice in
writing, with such termination becoming effective six months
after such notice.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the undersigned, being duly authorized by
their respective Governments, have signed this Agreement.
DONE in duplicate at Basseterre, on January 11, 2017 in the
Chinese and English languages, both texts being equally
For the Government of For the Government of
the Republic of China the Federation of St.
(Taiwan) Kitts and Nevis
H.E. Chiou, Gow-wei The Hon. Eugene
Ambassador of the Minister of Agriculture,
Republic of China Health and Community
(Taiwan) to the Development
Federation of St. Kitts