1.Signed on November 26, 2012
Signed on November 08, 2012
Entered into force on November 26, 2012
The National Science Council (NSC) of Taiwan (“ NSC of Taiwan
” )and the European Molecular Biology Conference (“ EMBC ” )
and the European Molecular Biology Organization (“ EMBO ” );
(NSC of Taiwan, EMBC and EMBO hereinafter also referred to
singularly as the “ Party ” and collectively as the “ Parties
NOTING that NSC of Taiwan has expressed an interest in
strengthening links with European molecular biology research
through its interactions with the EMBC and the EMBO;
RECALLING that the EMBC was founded by its Member States as an
intergovernmental organization to provide for co-operation among
European States for fundamental research in molecular biology as
well as in other areas of research closely related thereto and
that the EMBC Agreement makes provision for co-operation with
external organizations and non-Member States;
FURTHER RECALLING that the execution of the General Programme of
the EMBC is entrusted to the EMBO and that the purpose of the
EMBO is to promote and encourage the development of molecular
biology within Europe and beyond;
RECOGNISING the benefits for both NSC of Taiwan and Europe
arising from such co-operation;
HEREBY AGREE as follows:
1. The scope of the co-operation between NSC of Taiwan and EMBC
/ EMBO shall include the specific actions identified in Annex
1 to this Agreement.
2. The Parties may mutually agree in writing to extend the scope
of co-operation beyond the actions identified in Annex 1
within the limits of the EMBC General Programme and the
activities of the EMBO.
1. NSC of Taiwan will contribute for the actions identified in
Annex 1 to this Agreement by such payments as set out in
Annex 1 to this Agreement.
2. The EMBO will issue annually a financial call-up letter to
NSC of Taiwan according to the provisions of Annex 1 to this
Agreement and NSC of Taiwan will arrange for the payment to
3. The financial arrangements for delivery of co-operative
actions beyond the scope of Annex 1 to this Agreement shall
be agreed by the Parties in writing on a case-by-case basis.
4. NSC of Taiwan shall not be requested to make any additional
financial contributions to the EMBC / EMBO budgets.
The competent authorities for implementation and execution of
this Agreement shall be:
1. For the EMBC and the EMBO: The European Molecular Biology
Organization with its address at Meyerhofstrase 1, 69117
2. For the National Science Council (NSC) of Taiwan: The
Academia Sinica with its address at 128 Academia Road,
Section 2, Nankang, Taipei 115, Taiwan.
The Parties may agree from time to time to have consultations to
analyze the implementation and execution of this Agreement and
to consider further areas of co-operation. The format and time
of such consultations will be arranged between the Parties as
Any dispute between the Parties arising out of the
interpretation or execution of this Agreement shall be settled
amicably through consultation or negotiation between the
1. This Agreement and its Annex 1 constitute the entire
Agreement between the Parties on their co-operation.
2. Any amendment to or modification of this Agreements need to
be in writing and to be duly signed by the Parties.
ENTRY INTO FORCE, DURATION AND TERMINATION
1. This Agreement shall enter into force on the date of the last
2. This Agreement shall remain in force for a period of three
(3) years commencing at the end of the calendar month
following the date of entry into force according to
sub-Article 7.1 whereafter it shall automatically be renewed
for successive one (1) year periods unless it has been
terminated in terms of sub-Article 7.3.
3. This Agreement may be terminated by either Party giving six
(6) months written notice in advance to the other Party.
4. Any termination in terms of sub-Article 7.3 must be in
writing and addressed to the EMBO if terminated by NSC of
Taiwan or addressed to the Academia Sinica if terminated by
5. Termination shall not affect co-operative projects undertaken
prior to termination, which shall continue with full force
and effect until their completion, unless otherwise agreed by
the Parties in writing.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF the undersigned, being duly authorized
thereto, have signed this Agreement.
Done in duplicate in the English language.
FOR AND ON BEHALF OF THE GOVERNMENT OF TAIWAN
Prof. Cyrus C. Y. Chu
Minister of National Science Council
Done Taipei at on this 6th day of NOV 2012
Prof. Chi-Huey Wong
President Academia Sinica
Done Taipei at on this 8th day of NOV 2012
FOR AND ON BEHALF OF THE EUROPEAN MOLECULAR BIOLOGY CONFERENCE
Prof. Toivo Maimets
Done Hamburg at on this 25th day of NOV 2012
FOR AND ON BEHALF OF THE EUROPEAN MOLECULAR BIOLOGY ORGANIZATION
Prof. Maria Leptin
Done Hamburg at on this 14th day of NOV 2012
Prof. Ari Helenius
Chairperson EMBO Council
Done Hamburg at on this 26th day of NOV 2012