The Ministry of the Interior of the Republic of China(Taiwan)
and the Ministry of State of the Republic of Palau (hereinafter
collectively referred to as “ the Parties ” );
CONSCIOUS of the principle of equality, reciprocity and comity
RECOGNISING the importance of promoting cooperation between
immigration agencies in both countries;
ACKNOWLEDGING the need for both countries to continue bilateral
cooperation on issues of mutual concern;
DESIROUS of promoting cooperation between immigration agencies
of both countries on the issue of transnational crimes and in
particular human trafficking, through the exchange of
information and promotion of capacity building;
MINDFUL of the impact of human trafficking on both countries;
HAVE agreed as follows:
1. The Competent Authorities that conclude and implement the
terms of this Agreement shall be the Ministry of the Interior
of the Republic of China(Taiwan) and the Ministry of State of
the Republic of Palau.
2. The Parties shall dedicate themselves to engaging in exchange
and sharing of information and cooperation in accordance with
their respective domestic laws and national policies.
Scope of Cooperation
The Parties agree to cooperate in the following areas:
1. To cooperate in the exchange and sharing of information
pertaining to national security, anti-terrorist, the stolen
and lost travel documents, the prevention of human
trafficking and smuggling, illegal immigration and other
2. To cooperate on capacity building related to entry and exit
3. To foster cooperation between the immigration agencies in
both countries as set out in the preamble of this Agreement
specifically in relation to human trafficking, smuggling and
other transnational crimes;
4. To foster cooperation and sharing of experience in relation
to detecting, and resolving cases of human trafficking,
smuggling and other transnational crimes and personnel
training on these issues; and
5. To facilitate cooperation on other matters related to human
trafficking, smuggling and other transnational crimes.
Forms of Cooperation
For the purpose of effectively enforcing Article 2, the Parties
shall undertake, on the principle of equality, reciprocity and
comity, to cooperate as follows:
1. Exchange of information on crime and stolen and lost travel
2. Official exchange visits;
3. To invite one to three immigration officers from the other
Party to participate in immigration training held by one of
the Parties; and
4. To implement other mutual assistance that might be requested.
Request for Assistance
1. The Parties agree that requests for assistance shall be made
in writing through formal diplomatic channels.
2. In the event of urgency, an informal note in writing may be
made to the foreign ministry of the Requested Party but the
official request must be done within ten (10) days of the
3. The written request shall include the following content:
a. The name of the department that is making the request;
b. The purpose of the request;
c. The details of the request;
d. The summary of the case;
e. Other information necessary for meeting the request.
4. In case the request cannot be met due to inadequate
information contained in the request, the Requesting Party
may be required to provide additional information.
Refusal of Requests
The Parties agree that in the event the request is contrary to
the Constitution, domestic laws, public policy or national
security interest of the Requested Party, the request shall be
1. The Requested Party undertakes to expedite requests for
assistance provided that the requests have compiled with the
provisions of this Agreement and the laws of the Requested
Party. The Requesting Party shall be informed as soon as
practicable about any information pertaining to the request.
2. The Requested Party shall immediately notify the Requesting
Party through proper diplomatic channels in circumstances
where it has no authority to satisfy the request.
1. The Parties shall ensure that all information, documents, and
personal data provided under this Agreement are kept
2. In the event that the information is to be used for any
purpose not consistent with this Agreement, the Requesting
Party shall obtain the consent of the Requested Party.
1. The funds needed to cover the expenses for personnel training
as stated in subparagraph 3 of Article 3 shall be decided by
the Parties on a case-by-case basis through bilateral
2. General expenses incurred in fulfilling a request by a Party
in accordance with this Agreement will be borne by the
Requested Party unless otherwise mutually agreed.
3. In circumstances where a request involves additional
expenses, the Parties shall negotiate beforehand to affirm
the defrayment of those expenses.
The Parties shall use English as the medium of their
communication when they engage in cooperation in accordance with
Meetings and Consultations
The representatives of the Parties may hold meetings or conduct
consultations in order to discuss and improve the cooperation
carried out in accordance with this Agreement.
Settlement of Disputes
Disputes arising from the application of this Agreement shall be
resolved through negotiations by the Parties.
Effectiveness, Termination and Amendments
1. This Agreement shall be effective on the date of its latter
signature by the Parties and may be terminated by either
Party by giving the other Party a thirty-day prior written
2. This Agreement may be amended by the mutual consent of the
IN WITNESS WHEREOF the undersigned, being duly authorized by
their respective Governments, have signed this Agreement.
DONE in duplicate in the Chinese and English languages, both
texts being equally authentic.
FOR THE MINISTRY FOR THE MINISTRY
OF THE INTERIOR OF STATE OF THE
OF THE REPUBLIC REPUBLIC OF
OF CHINA（TAIWAN） PALAU
Jiunn-Rong Yeh Billy G. Kuartei
Date: 2 March 2017 Date: 17th March 2017
Place: Taipei, Taiwan Place: Koror, Palau