The Regulations are formulated according to Article 44-4 of the Disaster Prevention and Protection Act.
When a National Health Insurance beneficiary (hereinafter a “Beneficiary”), affected by a disaster in the disaster affected areas announced by the Executive Yuan, meets any of the following criteria, the Beneficiary’s general premium co-payment under the National Health Insurance (hereinafter this “Insurance”) shall be supported by the central government, and may also be supported by private donation, for a six-month period beginning from the month a disaster takes place:
1. Dead or missing, and meeting the criteriaset forth for government relief assistancefor dead or missing victims.
2. Receivinggovernment relief assistance for severely injured victims.
3. Those who enrolled inthisInsurancetogether with anyBeneficiaryprescribed in the two preceding subparagraphsin the month when a disaster takes place, or theBeneficiary’s spouse, parents, children less than 20 years of age, or children over 20 years of age but incapable of making a living, including those who are in school without employment.
4. Meeting the criteriaforreceiving governmentrelief assistance forrelocation, floodor house damage.
5. Receiving government relief assistance for damage of farms, fish farms, fishing boats(raft), or sampans.
Theeligibility of a Beneficiary meeting the criteria set forth in the preceding subparagraph 3for receiving subsidy shall remain unaffected even if the Beneficiary changeshis insurable status during the subsidization period.
The updated list of thosemeetingthe criteria set forth in subparagraph 1 or 2 of paragraph 1, and their spouses, parents, children ,and those meeting the criteria set forth in the subparagraph 4 or 5 of paragraph 1, shall be provided to National Health Insurance Administration, Ministry of Health and Welfare (hereinafterreferred to as the “Insurer”) by the government of municipalities and counties (cities) of the disasteraffected areas monthly for the calculation of the amount for relief assistance.
The co-payment medical expenses of a Beneficiary, affected by a disaster in the disaster affected areas announced by the Executive Yuan, and his general food expenses during hospitalization not covered by this Insurance shall be supported by the central government, and may also be supported by private donation, if the Beneficiary seeks medical treatment during a three-month period beginning from the month a disaster takes place and has been determined by medical professional that receiving treatment is necessary due to disaster.
The Ministry of Health and Welfare may extend the period prescribed in the precedingparagraph by taking into consideration the range of areasaffected bydisaster and the degrees of severity.
A contracted medical institution under this Insurance treatinga Beneficiary affected by disaster shall report the Beneficiary’s co-payment medical expenses to the Insurer monthly following the process of medical expense applicationand the reporting code formulated by the Insurer, and shall also report theBeneficiary’s general food expenses during hospitalizationnot paid by this Insuranceto the Insurer by writing monthly.
A Beneficiarymeeting the criteriaprescribed in the preceding Article may apply for reimbursement of the self-advanced co-payment medical expenses according to the National Health Insurance Act andthe Regulations for National Health Insurance Reimbursement of the Self-advanced Medical Expenses within six months from the day of outpatient treatment,emergency treatment, discharge from the hospital, or the day whenthe Executive Yuanannouncedthe disaster affected areas.
The preceding paragraph shall apply to thegeneral food expenses duringhospitalization not paid by this Insurance.
Following the Executive Yuan’s announcement of the range of disaster affected areas, application forrelief assistance for windstorms, earthquakes,or othersevere disasters which happened between August 6, 2015 and the day beforethe formulation of theRegulations,shall be handledas follows:
1. General premium co-payment: The Insurer shall calculate the amount according to the list provided by the government of municipalities and counties (cities) of the disaster affected areasunder paragraph 3 of Article 2,and offset the feesowed by a Beneficiary as well ashis insurance premiumsincurred thereafter; If a Beneficiaryis dead, the subsidizationshall be refunded to the Beneficiary’slegal heirs.
2. Co-paymentmedical expenses and general food expenses during hospitalization not paid by this Insurance:
(1) A Beneficiary who paid the co-payment medical expenses in advance may, within six months from the day of the formulationof the Regulations or the day whenthe Executive Yuan announced the range of the disaster affected areas, apply to the Insurer for reimbursement according to theRegulations for National Health Insurance Reimbursement of the Self-advanced Medical Expenses.
(2) A contracted medical institution under this Insurance which hasnot chargedthe expenses from a Beneficiarymay report to the Insurer according to Article 3.
The Regulations shall come into force onAugust6, 2015.