This measure is set based on Article 42, Paragraph 2 of Air Pollution Control Act (hereinafter referred to as the Act).
The terms of this measure are defined as follows:
1. Motorcycle model composition patterns (hereinafter referred as Motorcycle configuration): refers to power system of the motorcycle (such as internal combustion engine or hybrid power system with electric motor, etc.), basic engine, fuel supply system, emission control system, transmission and inertial mass are the same as the same models.
2. Engine family: motorcycles have similar power system, combustion cycle (number of trips), type of cooling system (air, sea water), cylinder block structure (ie parallel, V-type, opposite type, cylinder aperture center spacing distance, etc.), number of cylinders, air supply method, fuel supply (method, numbers and measuring systems, etc.), evaporated gas storage device, catalytic converters (oxidation catalyst, reduction catalyst or three-way catalytic), secondary air system, electronic control module vehicle can be summarized as the same engine family.
3. Used motorcycles in foreign countries: motorcycles have registered in local Transportation Supervision and have licenses, should obtain certificate and import duties (exemption) issued by customs when import.
4. On Board Diagnostics (OBD): refers to motorcycles with system capability to monitor air pollution prevention equipment and detection fault conditions via on board computer, and can store fault codes and display fault signal capabilities.
5. Hybrid motorcycle: refers to motorcycles with both combustion engine and electric motor-generator system, two sources of power.
6. Idle-stop or stop-start devices: refers to a moving motorcycle stops temporarily or stops for traffic lights, etc., and maintains in idle state for a while, the apparatus can have engine enter into off state automatically, and able to start engine again with opening the throttle.
7. Defeat devices: means through the measured or sensed vehicle’s influential operating parameters (such as: vehicle speed, engine rpm, transmission gear position, temperature, altitude, intake manifold vacuum, or other parameters) to trigger, adjust, delay or stop the emissions control functionality of certain devices when the vehicle is in normal operating conditions and hence reduce or with no effect on the emissions control.
Motorcycle shall comply with the Article 6 and Article 7 of the Air Emission Standards of Mobile Source (hereinafter referred to as emission standards) and related provisions of this measure, The central competent authority may only issue motorcycle exhaust emission compliance certificate (hereinafter referred to as compliance certificate).
Qualified applicants should apply following provisions for proof:
1. Domestic motorcycles applied by motorcycle manufacturers.
2. Imported motorcycles applied by motorcycle manufacturers designated agents, importers, Importer coalition of nonprofit association or guild.
3. Import purchasing motorcycles of all levels of administrative organizations, organizations apply or commission by winning vendors to apply.
4. Individual motorcycle importation is applied by owners.
Electric motorcycles without internal combustion engines are free of conformity application under the preceding paragraphs. But it shall submit proof of vehicle type safety testing compliance, data models and specifications with complete vehicle photo filing to central authorities, and comply electron transport operations with verification of the central competent authority.
The central competent authority may specify authorized testing organization to measure as proof of eligibility to apply for engine family that meets the emission standards as determined basis.
Selection and testing of tested vehicle in the preceding paragraph, in accordance with the provisions of Appendix 1.
When applicants apply for compliance certification is based on model and year of engine family as the basic unit, applicants should submit documents and relevant provisions, follow provisions of Appendix 2 and Appendix 3.
Preceding documents have completed reported and transmitted in electronic file information in accordance with the central competent authority may exempt from examination.
Eligible approved and issued certifications by engine family and model year by central authorities, central competent authority may revoke or void the compliance certification in following circumstances, and may require applicants to handle in accordance with the provisions of Appendix 4 for recall and correction:
1. False application documents or instruments, or false records.
2. Violation of Article 12.
3. Others are considered by the central authorities that violate the provisions of this Act or provisions in serious circumstances.
When applicants want to continue to manufacture or import motorcycles that have been certified already next year, applicants should apply prolong this year to the central competent authority for compliance certification. At the same time to meet the following requirements, the central competent authority may grant clearances of the same engine family:
1. Same motorcycle models as previous year.
2. Same affect emissions pollution items compare with the models of last year.
When applicants change engine components or materials and continues to use the original engine family, should apply to the central competent authority for proof of eligibility to modify, and attach modification comparative information of previous and after to demonstrate the impact of emissions from pollution items are the same and have the same emission characteristics, after approval by the central competent authorities to allow the modification of the engine family.
Before applicants want to add new models to the same engine family, should apply to the central competent authority for proof of eligibility extension.
Applicant should submit new model data to prove that the original engine family with all implications of emissions pollution is the same and has the same characteristics of emission, after granted by central competent authorities, extension of the engine family is approved.
Applicants should report carbon monoxide, hydrocarbons, non-methane hydrocarbons, nitrogen oxides, particulate pollutants degradation coefficient of each engine family escalation; the deterioration factors should follow provisions of appendix 5.
Motorcycles with production permission shall comply with the following provisions:
1. Each production motorcycle model should be qualified to prove that all of the emission of air pollutants items and emission control systems, components, must be consistent with the information contained in the application of conformity.
2. Applicants provide distributors, resellers, service units (including maintenance, service, repair plants, stations), and any manuals and instructions related to application, repair, adjustment of emission control system to use, maintenance or testing, should match the information when applied for eligibility.
3. The applicant shall conduct new vehicle’s Conformity of Production (COP) and in-use vehicle’s OBD In-Use Performance Ratio (IUPR) tests in accordance with Appendix 5.1. If any motorcycles failed to meet the Emission Standards for the Conformity of Production tests or failed to comply with the OBD IUPR relevant requirements, the causes for the fail to meet the Emission Standards or fail to comply with the OBD IUPR requirements should be explained within 30 days along with appropriate corrective measures and a copy of in conformity validation test report. The schedule for submitting the statistical analysis for COP tests and the OBD IUPR information shall be handled according to the following provisions:
3.1. New vehicle: The applicant shall send the vehicle model’s production number and sales information and the statistical analysis data of previous month conducted Conformity of Production tests to the central competent authority before 20th of each month for future reference.
3.2. In-use vehicle: The applicant shall send the information in accordance with the following provisions to the central competent authority for future reference and the central competent authority may conduct random selective validations:
3.2.1. The applicant shall submit all vehicles’ in-use maintenance and repair information for previous year before June 30th of each year.
3.2.2. For an engine family with annual sales over 1,000 units and its OBD system is classified as OBD Stage II-A or OBD Stage II-B, the applicant shall submit its all sold vehicles’ OBD IUPR information for each calendar year within 18 months after the end of that calendar year.
4. Applicants shall cooperate with and assist in the conduct of competent authorities to check, test, and provide relevant information on sales of motorcycles, including engine family, model name, model year, license plate number, vehicle number, engine number, owners name, phone, address and other documents.
Applicants who violate the provisions of the preceding paragraph, central competent authority may increase the number of sample testing of new motorcycles, suspend the applicant’s verification and authorization process, Certificate of Conformity application or in accordance with Article 7 to cancel or revoke the applicant’s Certificate of Conformity.
Central Competent Authority sample tests new motorcycles that have been certified; sample testing follows Annex 6 regulations, fails to meet central competent authority to complete new motorcycle sample testing, central competent authority may suspend verification. New motorcycle sampling test results fail central authorities, should be repealed qualified proof of the engine family, applicants shall recall and correct follow provisions of Appendix 4.
Motorcycles not taken model year and engine family as the basic unit apply for compliance certification by applicants, each motorcycle should submit following documents to the central competent authority for compliance certification:
1. Application forms
2. Motorcycle import and duty (exemption) certificate issued by customs.
3. Motorcycles tested by organizations designated by central competent authority, test reports meet emission standards of Article 6 (deterioration coefficients of carbon monoxide, hydrocarbons, non-methane hydrocarbons, nitrogen oxides, particulate pollutants are deterioration coefficients specified, according to the provisions of Appendix 5).
4. Motorcycles inspected by organizations designated by central competent authority, if motorcycles do not install evaporative emission control system or components, or evaporative emission control system or components cannot function effectively, with the danger of pollution, should attach emissions compliance test reports Article 7 by organizations designated by the central competent authority.
All the documents in this paragraph, applicants submitted through electronic file information reporting system and documents have been completed and complied electron transport operations with verification of central competent authority are exempt from inspection.
Used motorcycles from foreign countries, each motorcycle should submit following documents to the central competent authority for compliance certification:
1. Application forms.
2. Motorcycle import and duty (exemption) certificate issued by customs.
3. Motorcycles tested by organizations designated by central competent authority, test reports meet emission standards of Article 6 (deterioration coefficient of carbon monoxide, hydrocarbons, non-methane hydrocarbons, nitrogen oxides, particulate pollutants are deterioration coefficients specified, according to provisions of Appendix 5).
4. Motorcycles inspected by organizations designated by central competent authority, if motorcycles do not install evaporative emission control system or components, or evaporative emission control system or components cannot function effectively, with danger of pollution, should attach emissions compliance test reports Article 7 by organizations designated by central competent authority.
All the documents in this paragraph, submitted through electronic file information reporting system said documents have been completed and complies the electron transport operations with verification of central competent authority are exempt from inspection.
Applicants with annual internal combustion engine new motorcycle sales amount more than ten thousands, since 2017 shall be in accordance with the ratio prescribed in Article 6 of emission standards, must manufacture or import motorcycles with idle-stop function, hybrid motors or electrical motors; calculation of ratio to the nearest whole number.
If applicants sell domestic and imported motorcycles simultaneously, domestic and imported motorcycle quantity can be merged or separated to calculate the ratio.
If applicant is less than the ratio of the first paragraph, in addition to idle-stop function and hybrid electric motor motorcycles compliance certification, central competent authority may suspend the issuance of other motorcycle certifications.
Motorcycle emission test methods and procedures, motorcycle evaporative emission testing methods and procedures, motorcycle endurance test methods and procedures qualification certification are defined by central competent authority separately.
Central competent authority may delegate authority (organization) to handle the examination and certification of new motorcycles and sample testing related matters.
These measures start on date of promulgation.