The National Museum of Marine Science and Technology ("the museum") is established by the Ministry of Education for facilitating the collection, research, curation, exhibition and education which related to marine science, technology and ecology to enhance the conservation and sustainable use of the oceans.
The Museum is responsible for the following:
1. Collecting, preparing, curating, researching and appraisal of artifacts, specimens and documentation related to marine science, technology and ecology.
2. Researching, planning, promoting and guiding in education related to marine science, technology and ecology, and the compilation and issuance of related publications.
3. Planning, design and study for marine technology applications, and promotion and exchanges in the area of industry-academia collaborations.
4. Governing and operating the museum, implementing private participation including construction, maintenance, management of public facilities in the museum.
5. Other matters relating to marine science, technology, and ecology.
The Museum shall have one director general, whose position shall be career senior civil servant of the 12th to the 13th occupational grade. When necessary, appointment of the curator may be based on qualifications at least equal to those for president of an independent college. The Museum shall have one deputy director, whose position shall be career senior civil servant of the 12th occupational grade. When necessary, appointment of the assistant curator may be based on qualifications equal to those required for a university professor.
The civil service rank, occupational grade, and number of employees for each position at the Museum shall be determined according to the staffing table.
The date for enforcement of this Organizational Act will be determined by an order of the Executive Yuan.