Chapter One General Provisions
This Animal Industry Act (hereinafter referred to as the Act) is drawn up for the purposes of regulating and providing guidance to the livestock/poultry farming business, preventing pollution, and facilitating the development of the animal industry. Other relevant laws and regulations shall govern matters not specified herein.
The competent authority referred to in the Act herein shall be: the Council of Agriculture, Executive Yuan on the central level; the Municipal Government on the municipal level; and the prefectural (city) government on the prefectural (city) level.
The terms used in the Act herein are defined as follows:
1. Livestock: Cattle, sheep, horse, pig, deer, rabbit and other animals designated by the central competent authority.
2. Poultry: Chicken, duck, goose, turkey and other fowls designated by the central competent authority.
3. Farm: A place of raising livestock or poultry with an operation scale up to that specified in Article 4 herein.
4. Slaughterhouse: A slaughter establishment set up according to the Act, or approved or designated by the competent authorities prior to the promulgation of the Act.
5. Breeding flock: Livestock or poultry for reproduction.
6. Breeding stock: Genetic materials of the breeding flock, such as semen, ovum, egg, embryo, genes, or genetically modified organisms or transplanted embryo.
7. Breeder: Business engaging in the raise, incubation, improvement or propagation of breeding flock or breeding stocks.
8. Breeding farm: A place where raise, incubation, improvement or propagation of breeding flock or breeding stock takes place.
9. Industrial organization: Academy, foundation, trade association, farmer's association or cooperative that is associated with the research, development, production, supply and marketing of farming or veterinary medicine.