Chapter 4 Associations
Optician associations shall be administered by the competent authority in charge of civil associations. However, the target business shall be guided and supervised by the respective competent authority.
Optician associations are municipality- and county (city)-specific, and a national federation of Optician associations may be established.
Regional optician associations shall be based in the existing administrative regions; only one association of the same level shall be established within one region.
The founding of a municipal or county (city) optician association may be initiated by a group of opticians in a municipality or county (city) that is composed of 21 members or more; opticians in a region with less than 21 members may join the association of a neighboring region or form as a joint association.
The establishment of a national federation of optician associations shall be initiated by at least one third of the municipal and county (city) optician associations.
Directors and supervisors of optician associations shall be elected by members (members’ representatives) during the general members’ (member representatives’) meeting, and a Board of Directors and a Board of Supervisors shall be established respectively, with the number of members on each board as follows:
1. Not more than 21 directors in a county (city) optician association.
2. Not more than 27 directors in a municipal optician association.
3. Not more than 35 directors in the national federation of optician associations.
4. For all optician associations, the number of directors shall not exceed half of all the members (members’ representatives).
5. For all optician associations, the number of supervisors shall not exceed one third of the association’s directors.
Optician associations of all levels may have alternate directors and alternate supervisors, the number of which shall not exceed one third of the association’s directors and supervisors respectively.
When there are more than 3 directors and supervisors, executive directors and executive supervisors may be selected through mutual election, the number of which shall not exceed one third of the directors or supervisors. Directors shall elect a director general from among the executive directors. If there is no executive director, a director general shall be mutually elected by the directors. When there are more than 3 executive supervisors, a convener of the board of supervisors shall be mutually elected.
Directors and supervisors shall serve a 3-year tenure, and not more than half of them may be re-appointed. The director general can only be re-appointed once.
Election of the directors and supervisors of the national federation of optician associations is not limited to the members’ representatives designated by municipal and county (city) optician associations.
Members’ representatives of municipal and county (city) optician associations designated to represent their associations at the national federation of optician associations are not limited to the directors and supervisors of said associations.
Optician associations shall hold a general members’ (member representatives’) meeting once a year, and interim general meetings may be held when necessary.
When members of an optician association exceed 300, regional chapters may be established according to the provision of the Articles of Association on the basis of the members’ distribution, and members’ representatives may be elected based on the number of members in each region. General member representatives’ meetings shall be held to perform the duties of general members’ meetings.
Optician associations shall set down Articles of Association, make a membership roster and a list of elected staff members’ brief resumes, and send them to the local competent authority in charge of civil organizations for registration and also sent to the central and local competent authority for future reference.
Articles of Association of all optician associations shall explicitly state the following:
1. Name, district, and location of the association office
2. Vision, organization, and mission
3. Membership application and dismissal
4. The membership fee to be paid by members and the terms of payment
5. Selection method for members’ representatives and their tenure
6. Numbers of directors and supervisors, the scope of their authority, tenure, appointment, and dismissal
7. Rules of procedure for the general members’ (member representatives’) meetings and the meetings of the board of directors and board of supervisors
8. Code of professional ethics and conventions to be observed by members
9. Budget and accounting
10. Amendments of the Articles of Association
11. Other necessary matters stipulated by laws and regulations or required in the process of handling the association’s affairs
Municipal and county (city) optician associations are obliged to observe the Articles of Association of the national federation of optician associations and its resolutions.
Optician associations violating the laws and regulations or Articles of Association shall be subject to the following penalties sanctioned by the competent authority in charge of civil organizations:
2. Revoking its resolution.
3. Removing its directors or supervisors.
4. Rectification by a deadline.
Items 1 and 2 of the above-mentioned penalties may be imposed by the competent authority.
In the event that a member of an optician association violates the laws and regulations or the Articles of Association, the association may impose penalties according to the Articles of Association or resolutions made at the Board of Directors, Board of Supervisors, or general members’ (member representatives’) meetings.
The provisions in this Chapter concerning optician associations shall apply to the organization of optical technicians’ associations.